Sunday 15 March 2009

Mushroom Harvest!



For Christmas P got a Mushroom growing kit from my mum! (it was my idea really she asked what to get him and it was the first thing that popped into my head!)

I'd seen these for sale before in the garden centres but we have never tried growing them before. Its actually been very easy and its kinda cool too!
Well its taken about 5 weeks down in the cellar(2 weeks longer than it said on the box)- and we only got 5 mushrooms to show for it- but like everyting you grow yourself it always seems to taste so much better and im really pleased with them! 5 mushrooms! What to do with them? We decided to have them in a stir fry for tea. And there are some more growing so hopefully can have some more in a few weeks time.- apparently the mushroom compost can be reused 3 times with each time getting fewer and fewer mushrooms! I think i might stick to buying them if im doing a mushroom risotto it may take some time to get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone,
Dont be shy! Leave me a message if you find anything I ramble on about interesting or if I get anything wrong (quite a likely occurance!)
Thanks for reading!
Owen